Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Any CUERDOs Out There?

Guess what? I just had lunch with a lady who might just turn out to be my cousin - 4 or 5 times removed maybe. Her middle name is Cuerdo and she is still single. Her mother hails from Gingoog, where there seems to be a very large family of Cuerdos residing. I went there once, to Gingoog, to make a business presentation, and was determined to learn if we were or were not relatives. I came away enlightened, though not sure if the information I received meant anything.

The man I met in Gingoog - Manuel Cuerdo - was the son(?) of the barangay captain and was very accommodating. He said their great-great-grandfather, Pedro(?), migrated to Mindanao from Sorsogon. So their roots were in Sorsogon... Well, isn't Sorsogon the neighbor of Albay, where my great-great-great-grandfather is from? I got so excited about the prospect of meeting other Cuerdos that I searched the name on Facebook... and guess how many entries came up?

38!

Eight of them were me, Joey, Ray, Kenx, Frankie - my immediate family - and Denmark, Sweden and Trinidad - our first-degree cousins (children of my dad's younger brother). The rest were from Gingoog, Cotabato, Manila, Canada, Quezon and ALBAY!!! But the last one didn't recognize any of the names I threw at her and I didn't recognize the name of her dad either. So that just means one thing-- there is yet another Cuerdo branch out there.

So anyway, it somehow seems we are destined to meet our long-lost relatives sooner or later, so why not organize a reunion / meeting activity?

Tentative schedule is July-August 2010, at Cagayan de Oro City.

What do you guys think?

No comments: