Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Road Trip: Lanuza (Part 3)

Speaking of surprises, did I mention that I found a weak internet signal in the homestay?  I had brought along my laptop so my camera phone's memory card wouldn't fill up.  Well, after traveling seven hours over 'uncharted' territory, I had accumulated over 200 digital images (many of these images will find their way into my blog over the next few weeks) and we still had two more days to go.  So the next morning, January 3, I switched on my laptop and waited for it to be ready for loading.  After a few minutes, I noticed the icon for WLAN had lit up.  I gave in to curiosity and clicked on it.  It was an unknown signal and the status was 'very low', but it was steady and I was able to open my email and update my Facebook.  For free!  Cool!  (Should I have informed them that they might want to charge for the wifi?  Hehe)

Mayor Geri (of Lanuza) had arranged a guide for us so we could explore the surrounding tourist sites.  This gave Chi-Chi and Maite the idea that we could develop activities which non-surfers could do as well.  This morning, we went to Campamento Cave and Silop Spring.  The cave had been used as a hiding place during the second World War and was so well-preserved that I was glad I agreed to join the group.  One thing though, as is true for any cave I have entered, was the humidity.  Which was why, I was happy to note, that when we exited about an hour later and went directly to the spring, the fresh, fresh, and clear water was a welcoming sight!  Even the carabaos thought so, I think!

In the afternoon there was a little delay in schedule because we had to wait for the surfers to return.  We now had two of them -- Joey and Chi-Chi, who, after his first lesson yesterday, became almost as enthusiastic as my brother.  So we were able go to Magkawas Falls at about 5:00 already.  The bright side was, we didn't make the trek under the hot sun and my mom was able to walk the whole distance AND BACK with minimal assistance.  How's that for a 78-year-old Lola?

I shall let the pictures do the talking, shall I?

No comments: