Friday, August 20, 2010

My Trip Up North (first of 5 parts)

Last June 1, my mom and I flew to Manila to be with my brother and his kids.  We were in Luzon for 11 days.  Our activity there included a road trip to Vigan, Ilocos Sur (farthest point), a day trip to Bulacan to visit a soon-to-be resort which my brother was hired to develop, a day out with my best friend, Ning, at the SM Mall of Asia, and last but not least, a four-day stay at a new budget hotel called Go Hotels, in Mandaluyong City.

So where do I start?  At the beginning, of course!  The trip actually started at 3:00pm on June 2, so Mama and I had the whole day June 1 and the following morning to buy any last-minute necessities and to play with the kids.  As I browsed the aisles of snack food (however did 'junk food' become a nickname???), I discovered so many new manufacturers of local chichiria, like Marty's (by Oishi).  So I bought at least one big pack each to cover our long drive to the north.  Little did I know that my brother also picked up a load of chocolates and drinks that his children would really love as well.  In the end, we'd spent about P2,000 just on snacks.  Well, what would you expect with three adults (one senior citizen), one teenager and two growing children?

The trip to La Union took about seven hours.  My brother took care of all the room arrangements and we were finally sleeping in air-conditioned nipa houses at this resort called SeBay (pronounced sea bay).  The next morning, I found out why he had chosen this particular resort-- it was situated at the mouth of a popular surfing site and where he was like "The King" of surfing events organizers. 

We stayed there for two nights.  Supposedly only one night but the waves were really good (even to my untrained eye) and too good to miss, so my brother said.  We transferred to a hotel in San Fernando, La Union for the third night of our trip.



... to be continued...

No comments: